Friday, September 15, 2006

They finally got me...

Race: ECCC's Wampatuck Whatchamacallit, presented by MIT Date: 9/17/06 Location: Womatuck State Park, Hingham, MA Weather: Clear, sunny, kinda hot Length: 7.5 miles Catagory Raced: C Shock Pressure: 100 psi Tire Pressure: 40 psi Bike feel: way too stiff After 3 years, I finally signed the wavers, paid the dues, and joined the MIT cycling team. I've ridden with them in the past, but I've never raced with them. In a way it seemed treasonous to put on the Red and Grey to do battle against the Green. Never-the-less, I committed such treachery at Wompatuck state park this weekend. Fortunately, the Big Green fielded no racers in the C division. Wompy, as the locals call it, is about 35 min from Boston. It's a state park which has camping, lakes, and a pretty extensive trail system. Unlike the Middlesex Fells, all the trails are "inbounds". The course we were on was mostly single track, with a little bit of paved road and double track. In terms of technical difficulty, it was rootier than the Fells, but had fewer loose rock sections. There were some tough rock gardens thrown in for good measure. Anyway, I'm definitely going to make another trip out there before the winter starts for some exploring. Leaving Boston Sunday morning was supposed to occur at 7:15, but actually happened at 7:30 because people were not organized. We arrived at the race site maybe 45 minutes later. Giving me about 45 minutes until the race start. Registration was easy, and I borrowed an MIT jersey so as not to be disqualified. I rode my bike a little to warm up and check out the beginning of the course, and then got ready to race. The field was maybe 15 riders. Most were riding older bikes, and two had no shocks. The whistle went off and we busted off the line. The start was an open field which narrowed down into some double track. There was no carnage. I jumped in in maybe 5th place and we screamed down some easy trails for a solid half mile. We then hit some technical parts, and I realized that my bike was NOT dialed in correctly. The tires and the shock were way too stiff and I was bouncing off everthing. I could barely keep the bike on the ground. Not good. Compounding this problem was the fact that my shoes wouldn't stay clipped in: the cleats were too worn. the front group dropped me, and two others came around. We then had an extended climb on a loose dirt hill. I rode the first half and ran the second. We then had 2 miles of technical single track and I couldn't stay on the bike very well. I was reminded of the Forest of Despair, but the despair was really more like frustration and anger. One of the MIT guys passed me, and I hung on him for a while. The course then dumped us a paved road, and I started cranking. Having stiff tires and suspension meant that I could fly on the pavement, and I road that mile as hard as I could. I passed the MIT guy, H, and that was the last I saw of him until the end of the race. We faced a short steep double track uphill, and then more single track. I was feeling a little more confident, and there were fewer roots on this section, so things went a little better. There were some rollers where losing your balance meant sliding down a steep embankment, but I managed to avoid that trap. The course descended down some gnarly rock gardens, on of which I decided not to ride, and then there was more fairly tame single track to the end. I caught on guy who was having mechanical problems, but otherwise I was riding alone. The course finished at the same place it started, and I was kinda ready for another lap. So, after being done for 5 minutes, the race organizers figured they'd set a short track XC course and run another race. I didn't object. Short track XC is exactly as the name implies. Many laps around a very short (200m) usually very technical trail. This course had a sweet little steep hill, with rocks to jump at the top, followed by a twisty tree slalom, followed by a flat bit of field. All in all very fun. We did a preview lap, and then lined up for the start. The field sprinted off the line and attacked the first corner and the hill. I managed to get good position for the tree slalom, and I held it for 3 laps until I botched the rock jump at the top of the hill, fell, and lost my place. I tried to chase back on, but it didn't happen. I finished somewhere in the back of the pack. All in all, a very fun day, and a good way to start year 26. MIT did a great job putting on the race, so I hope they get to do it again next year. The results are here. Pictures are by Keith Berkoben

1 comment:

Cosmo said...

short-track is usually a bit longer than 200m. Think, like, crit length laps.